A lot of people are suffering with mental health issues today and in this article I will discuss the positive effects that vitamins can have on your well-being. Mental health and vitamins go hand in hand and by that I mean that it’s hard to have one without the other, it’s a necessity. Today the “normal” procedure when someone is suffering from mental illness is to give some sort of prescription drug to that person, maybe in combination with therapy and hope for the best. People who have taken these medications rarely become better (myself included) in the long run and just end up changing medication or adjusting the dosage to hopefully get the desired effect but in the end it doesn’t really work and it all just seems like a big hoax.
I had a lot of anxiety and ocd issues and tried a lot of different medications through the years and all these prescription drugs did was to make me feel numb and intoxicated in a way. I didn’t feel like myself and I didn’t really feel like I was present in different situations. I refer to these medications as “dry alcohol” because it was basically the same effect as when you drink alcohol, it just makes you numb. I can understand why a lot of people think that these medications work because if you have a lot of negative feelings that you can’t handle and the doctor gives you a pill that numbs those feelings then it’s going to ease your burden in the short term, but in the long term it can’t be good to numb your feelings because feelings are there for a reason. Feelings are signals for you to act in one way or the other. Another negative effect from these medications is that applying chemical substances to your brain which no one seems to know what the long term effect is can’t be a good and healthy thing, but thankfully there are other options.
More and more research has concluded that a lot of the mental illnesses that exists today are probably due to nutritional deficiencies and vitamin therapy is getting more popular and a more accepted way to treat mental illness with very good results. I will give some examples of mental health issues and which vitamin research is saying can ease your problems:
Depression is simply put a change in mood where everything just seems sad and meaningless and it’s one of the most common mental health conditions that people experience. Symptoms include a negative change in feelings, thoughts and behaviors, including loss of interest in activities and persistent feelings of sadness. Depending on the level of the depression, a person may experience different physical and emotional problems related to the depression.
Vitamins can help to soothe your symptoms of depressions. B-vitamins play a big role in your personal well-being. People who have depression often have a deficiency in B-vitamins, especially B12. Even if you don´t have a problem with depression a lack of B12 can cause fatigue since it is a vitamin that’s important to reduce fatigue. Being tired most of the time can in itself be a depressive state or cause a depression since you might feel that you don’t have the necessary energy level to do the things you want to.
Essential B-vitamins that can ease your symptoms of depression:
- Vitamin B3 – Also known as niacin, is a vitamin that is important in the production of serotonin. Serotonin is a chemical that nerve cells produce which helps to regulate our mood among other things. Low levels of serotonin in the brain may cause depression. Dosage of 20 mg B3 per day can help you decrease your depressive symptoms.
- Vitamin B9 – Folate and folic acid are also called vitamin B9. Another vitamin that is important in mood regulation.
- Vitamin B12 – Important in reducing fatigue. Probably one of the most vital B-vitamin. Low B12-vitamin levels are often found in people who have depression.
Other supplements that can help decrease your depressive symptoms:
- Omega-3 fatty acids – This is a vital nutrition for the function and health of the brain.
- Vitamin C – Can improve both mood and cognitive function. Studies have shown that vitamin C can reduce symptoms of depression.
- Magnesium – An essential mineral which is important for the production of our feel-good hormones in the brain. Magnesium deficiency can cause symptoms of depression and other mood disorders.
Anxiety is an intense emotion which is best described as a feeling of unease and worry. It’s also closely related to fear. Anxiety is vital to our survival since it triggers our flight or fight response. Occasional anxiety in life is completely normal but people who suffer from an anxiety disorder have these intense feelings frequently on a daily basis which empties their energy levels and affects their daily life in a negative way.
Here are some supplements that can help you if you suffer from an anxiety disorder:
- Magnesium – a mineral which is a natural muscle relaxer which can be an immense help when dealing with anxiety. its also stabilizes your mood and can create feelings of calm.
- Passionflower – A calming herb for anxiety, insomnia and seizures. It increases GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) in the brain which causes the nervous system to relax due to the reduction of brain activity, decreasing anxiety and stress.
- Valerian root – Its chemical components are useful in treating anxiety because it inhibits and regulates the brain’s neurons.
- Kualie happy supplements – a supplement of an ancient Chinese herbal formula that is found to be very effective in the treatment for anxiety and stress.
- Vitamin B complex – A complex which includes the necessary B-vitamins that can boost your mood and energy.
- St. John’s wort – A herb that promotes feelings of optimism and contentment easing anxiety.
- Omega 3 fish oil – Omega 3 is the building blocks of the brain and nervous system which can soothe your anxiety.
I have given just a few examples of mental health issues and which vitamins/supplements can help to ease your symptoms. There are many more mental health issues and vitamins/supplements to discuss that will be addressed in coming articles. For those of you who are looking for a healthier and safer way to ease your depressive/anxiety issues instead of taking prescripted drugs then vitamins/supplements is the right path to be on. If you have any comments on this article please leave your comments below.
All the best